By the NIDL World Conference Team, Dublin City University
The National Institute for Digital Learning at Dublin City University is delighted to be hosting the 28th ICDE World Conference on Online Learning (@WCOL2019) which will be held at the iconic Convention Centre right in the heart of Dublin. This is one of the most prestigious international conferences in our field and we expect to welcome around 1000 leading educators, researchers and policy-makers from around the world. The event will take place from 3 – 7 of November, with a number of pre-events and workshops the week before, which coincide with the famous Bram Stoker Festival.
There is an innovative range of submission types: full papers, concise papers, lightening talks and digital posters. Each day will start with an engaging ‘Taste of Ireland’ session and we have an exciting range of invited speakers. There will be plenty of opportunities for networking and the Gala Dinner (Ceiliúradh na Comhdhála) will be held in the historic Mansion House, which should be quite an experience. The Mansion House was the seat of the first Irish modern-day parliament. The call for full papers is now closed but other submissions types are still open until 3rd May. We have already had over 400 papers submitted from international researchers and practitioners across the globe. If you really need to submit a full paper to secure your funding, then please let us know ASAP as we may be able to accommodate special requests from ASCILITE members.
The overarching conference theme is “transforming lives and societies”, with the following sub-themes:
- Transformative Online Pedagogies
- Reimaging Online Education for Better Futures
- Expanding Access, Openness, and Flexibility
- Promoting Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Innovative Learning Designs for Student Success
- Open Pathways and New Credentials for Lifelong Learning
- New Business and Delivery Models for Changing Times
- Education for Healthy Lives and Communities
- New Skills for Living and Working in New Times
- Global Challenges and Global Solutions
Weaving across these themes there are five big questions that we seek to address:
- What is the future of online education?
- How can online education contribute to better futures?
- What is required to harness the potential of online education?
- What are the implications of online learning for educational leaders?
- How should governments and policy-makers respond to online education?
Overall the World Conference provides an opportunity to help shape the future of online education in today’s increasingly digitally and globally connected world. The following short video explains more about the conference and why ASCILITE members should do everything they can to be in Dublin in November 2019.
And finally to tempt you further here are seven reasons to visit Dublin:
- Enjoy exploring Dublin, which is a vibrant and exciting city
- Visit the Guinness Storehouse and taste the famous black velvet
- Participate in a leading international conference and network with researchers from around the world
- Take a ride on the Viking Duck Splash Bus for a fun activity and great way to see Dublin
- Venture further afield and visit the Wicklow mountains and the historic Johnnie Fox’s pub, the highest in Ireland or explore scenic Howth
- Indulge in superb food in one of Dublin’s many fantastic restaurants or experience the craic at the infamous Temple Bar
- Participating in literary events or attend the events associated with the Bram Stoker Festival
Bí Línn i mBaile Átha Cliath/Join us in Dublin!